Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Scripted sales calls old fashioned, fail to connect with customers - Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal:

esivyjifag.wordpress.com
Geez, I have been sayiny this for more than25 years, and I can’ t believe companies still use them to sell over the OK, forget the companiesa themselves, let’s blame the manager or the personj who is responsible for still trying to do somethingv that every sales trainer on the planert says does not Now, before I go on, do not writ or send an e-mail telling me that I am wrong or beint stubborn. Instead, why don’t you try somethinf new – that is, new to you or your organization and just do what I will lay out Trust me, it has worked every singl time with any organization, big or that I have worked with.
This horror of usin g scripts came rushing back to me recently whil working with a company whose storeds are in every big city inthe nation. The company is highly regarded for its ethics and is a very visibl e organization that many are familiare with because ofthe company’s longevity and branc awareness. I was asked to come to the company’s headquarters and look at its methodx of attracting new business through itstelemarketing program, whic h the company has been using for a coupled of years. They said that although the results were OK at sales had becomepretty dismal.
It took me just 30 secondsx to read the script that the insid e salespeoplewere using, and I was I talked with the company president and said I coule help the salespeople in just two hours, but I needesd him to let me do my job and not to interfered unless I called him in for his He agreed, but I could sense he was a bit apprehensivee about the situation and my request. I workes only with the who was really a selling manager becausse she was on the phones herself at times trying to pitch in and We went intoa room, and I spent an hour goinv over why scripts don’t work and why she has been brainwasheed to do something that was against all the ruled of professional salesmanship.
She was neither thrilled with me at this poinr nor happy after I tookher eight-page script, ripped it up and threwq it in the wastebasket. We role-played a littled using real situations that she might have withher husband, childreb and friends, for instance. The goal was to show her that havintga two-sided conversation is much more usefu l than a one-sided script. She was really starting to get it, even thouggh she kept wanting to go back to a selling mode by doingt more talking than listening and asking It was so simple that it was frightening to her that a selling situation can be flexiblse and not just acanned speech, wherre she can actually have fun while conversing with a The introduction and questions I wrotre out were basic and easy for her to They were: “Hi, my name is Susan from Client Co.
, and I would like to ask you two or thres quick questions. It will not take more than 48 seconds – I promise. “Are you familiafr with our company? If yes, what aspects?? “Why are you not a member, or why did you leavse our organization?” That was it. Yes, eightg pages down to two questions. To be fair, we liste all the benefits the company offerws and then did the same with the commo n objections the salespeople get onthe phone. Once again, I had to throew out pages of objection-handling scripts and allows them to put the objection raised in questiohn form back tothe customer.
For suppose the customer says, “I do not see a need to becomd a member ofyour organization.” The proper way to answer this is not a scriptede response. Instead just ask, “Why don’t you?” The approach In less than two she gottwo orders, which is outstanding in that length of and she still is flying high from knowinhg that she could do much more often usin her personality and not sounding like a robot.

No comments:

Post a Comment